Monday, June 13, 2011

Post # 3

After reading Generation M2: Media in the Lives of 8- to 18-year-olds, I feel that I was not surprised by the findings in the article. I have had many discussions with my fifth grade students about how much time he/she spend using technology each day. Many of my students own cell phones, play games on the computer or on a game system and watch television. I also feel in the coming years the numbers will rise again for the use of multiple media devices. I feel less students are spending less time reading and playing outside because of the huge amount of media devices available to students.

Also now use of technology in school districts is also on the rise. Teaches are asked to incorporate technology into their lesson plans and plan projects and activities for students to use technology. As the article pointed out reading magazines and newspapers has decreased and reading books maintained the same. Students need to be encouraged to read books and other material in order to build his/her fluency and comprehension. The article also compared the amount of time a child spends using multiple media devices and his/her grades and behavior at school. I was also not shocked with the finding because instead of students who are struggling in a subject will use his/her “free time” using media devices. The students who struggle the most need to be limited to the amount of time spend on these multiple media devices. Parents should encourage other activities such as reading and limit the time used for media devices.

I believe parents are not aware of the time consumed by these media devices used by children. I think as a teacher I need to make sure my parents are aware the appropriate time to use technology and to also encourage using educational resources for students. In my classroom I will still incorporate technology in my lesson plans, but with rule my students need to follow. Even though technology and the various tools are increasing year by year our students should not forget the use of “old” strategies and activities.

1 comment:

  1. You may be interested in the work of Richard Louv, author of Last Child in the Woods. He writes about the problems associated with children not spending as much time outdoors as in the past. He is part of a "No Child Left Inside" movement.

    I like the idea of having a discussion with parents about their child's media use.

    jd

    ReplyDelete